Head of International Business Development
Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South Africa
Pulse is seeking a Head of International Business Development who will be responsible for building and executing sales strategy, projects and analysis to increase our advertising and marketing sales across our countries of operation and beyond. You will be required to drive and coordinate commercial opportunities among top brands in various industries and agency partners.
Candidates applying for this role should be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Pulse is Africa’s leading innovative media company, informing and engaging Africa’s young audience and producing content and creative digital marketing solutions for top brands. We run news platforms and social channels and marketing and production in four countries - Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and Senegal.
We are the platform leading in reach - with over 100 million users and over 100 million video views on our own channels per month. We're also a marketing partner, empowering brands with our expansive media reach and 360 degree in-house marketing solutions. Additionally, Pulse is the licensee publisher of the regional Business Insider Africa.
None of this would be possible without our incredible, passionate team who go above and beyond to inform and engage our young audience with quality content in many formats and across different channels, and delight our clients and partners with their creativity and talent for engaging their target audiences.
About the role
This is a hands-on role which will require you to prospect for potential clients and generate leads, network with decision makers, pitch creative solutions to clients, and close deals. This role reports remotely to the Managing Director, Pulse Ghana and will be based in South Africa as part of our growth plans to expand our creative marketing solutions in Africa to new clients across and beyond Africa.
● Prospecting, structuring and outreach to international top clients with Pan-African business across international hubs, including Johannesburg, Dubai, London and Berlin.
● Oversight and coordination of national top 100 clients across markets and coordination with local offices for outreach where missing / joint opportunities.
● Coordination of international and local digital lead generation for business development.
● Develop new, scalable content commerce opportunities with partners.
● Develop new client offers to increase the breadth of services offered by Pulse - for example in the space of influencers and third-party platform sales.
● Prepare and deliver sales presentations to prospective clients, pitching winning creative digital strategies that help clients and agency partners to solve their business challenges and achieve their marketing goals and objectives.
● Seek out and develop relationships with executives from various industries and media and creative agencies.
● Accurately manage and forecast sales pipelines through Salesforce.
● Support the sales team in all marketing and promotional activities that aid conversion and drive revenue generation.
● Stay up to date of the latest trends, industry issues and solutions so as to uncover new opportunities.
● Build other strategic partnerships that deliver value.
● Represent Pulse at events and serve as a brand ambassador.
● B2B sales experience - within the Digital/ Creative/ Media/ Marketing/ Advertising industry preferred.
● A strong understanding of digital media and digital marketing and a creative thinker who can connect 360° digital to all aspects of a client’s business to drive growth opportunities.
● Successful track record of overachievement of revenue targets.
● Great relationship building and networking skills - existing relationships with decision-makers in key industries a plus.
● Strong verbal and written communications skills to be able to communicate solutions and strategies to clients and other stakeholders in a way that they will understand.
● Highly organised with a strong bias for action, can drive results while multitasking priorities.
● A lot of energy, passion and enthusiasm.
Compensation is competitive, in line with a senior management role in the industry. Remuneration will comprise a fixed plus variable salary.
We value creativity, curiosity and out of the box thinking, which helps us stay ahead of the curve. Our Pan African team collaborates cross-functionally and values each other’s unique perspectives and opinions - true to our core values of teamwork and collaboration. We also value trust as a team - both in how we work with each other and how we work with clients. Our editorial and content team lead with credibility in a world of fake news - which our audience values immensely.
We’re a high performing and hardworking team. You’ll grow a lot at Pulse because you’ll be assigned responsibilities that challenge you and help you to acquire new skills. We will give you the right tools and support to do a great job. We offer you a competitive salary, health insurance and life insurance cover, and generous time off so you can take care of your wellbeing - we prefer our team energized and productive.
As a digital media company, we work partially remotely and partially from the office - we think it’s important for collaboration and team building to still see each other and work together in person occasionally!
Want to know more about what it’s like to work at Pulse? You can check out this video to see the team and our company profile to learn more about our vision and mission and the cool work we’ve done for clients. We encourage you to also check out our careers page to see what some of our team members have to say on why they chose to work at Pulse and the amazing projects they’ve been working on.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a cover email explaining why you’re a great fit for this role to [email protected].
Applicants for this role may come from a range of backgrounds, although within the Digital/ Creative/ Marketing/ Advertising industry is preferred.
If you’re passionate about this opportunity, but don’t have all of the experience we’re looking for, we would still like to hear from you - please apply and let us know why you’d make a great addition to the Pulse team.