Pulse is Africa’s leading innovative media company, informing and engaging Africa’s young audience - and providing expansive media reach and creative marketing solutions to partners. We run news websites and social channels and marketing and production across Francophone and Anglophone West Africa and East Africa.
We are a platform leading in reach with our news and entertainment content - with millions of regular users per month. We are also a marketing partner, empowering brands with our expansive media reach and 360 degree in-house marketing solutions. Additionally, Pulse is the licensee publisher of the regional Business Insider Africa.
We are looking for an Editor in Chief who will be responsible for shaping the content direction of an exciting new media product of Pulse - Pulse Sports - and grow and manage a team of talented sports reporters, social media managers, and videographers. You will have a proven track record of reporting sports related news and events, and creating engaging sports related content in a wide variety of digital and social media story formats suited to our audience. You will have excellent knowledge of sports locally, in Africa and globally, and have a good network within the sports industry. As Editor in Chief, you will be a key driver of Pulse’s growth in the sports segment.
- Oversee Editorial planning and strategy execution for all sports-related coverage - reporters should contribute original reporting on sports-related events in real-time across the Pulse Sports website and social media channels
- Develop compelling formats and styles for the various pages and social channels, ensuring content is always engaging and innovative
- Secure top-level contributors and source interviews, profiles, and features for exclusive content
- Maximise the potential of major sporting events, securing key partnerships and access for coverage
- Quality control of published content - story authenticity, fact-checking, spelling, grammar, punctuation - and ensure stories are reflective of our Editorial guidelines at all times
- Work closely with the Project Leader to ensure that marketing strategies for Pulse Sports are effective in building brand positioning and awareness
- Work closely with the Project Leader and commercial teams to support sales and lead generation efforts
- Reach traffic and overall performance KPIs of Pulse Sports and actively identify and implement strategies to increase reach and relevance
- Liaise with Tech & Product Teams on back-end and front-end updates, mobile development, and CMS changes
- Ensuring synergies with other Pulse products and teams are maximized and closely collaborating with our international partners
- Promote a work environment of continuous improvement, manage team learning sessions and facilitate knowledge sharing on an ongoing basis
- Build relationships and strategic partnerships in the industry, such as with key sporting bodies, sporting agents, athletes, and other relevant stakeholders
- Stay up to date of the latest trends and be aware of competitive activity in the market to ensure that the Pulse Sports offering is always innovative
- Representing Pulse Sports at industry events exploring opportunities to promote our brand image
Desired Skills & Experience
- A strong editorial background in sports-related digital media
- Excellent knowledge of sports locally, in Africa and globally
- Passion for producing exclusive stories
- Passion for football and other sports (local and international)
- Experience leading and managing a team of reporters
- Entrepreneurial attitude and a commercial mindset
- Great relationship-building and negotiating skills to gain access to top sporting events locally and internationally
- Excellent communication skills
- Reliability and efficiency in a fast-paced environment
- A lot of energy and enthusiasm
Joining the Pulse Team
From the moment you join us, you will be empowered to run projects, solve problems and develop solutions that can impact our audience of millions and our clients and partners.
Remuneration is competitive and you will work collaboratively with a passionate and hardworking team in a fast-paced international work environment - plus support, mentorship, and guidance from our Senior Management Team for real career growth.
To know more about what it’s like to work at Pulse, you can check out www.pulse.africa/careers - here you will see our vision and mission, our core values, what our team members have to say about working with us, and some amazing projects we’ve worked on for clients.
How To Apply
If you would like to apply, please submit your application using the form below. You will receive an email confirming that your application has been received.